God Has Not Given Up on You

When I think of life and I think of the struggles that each of face everyday, I often feel discouraged. I am not sure why but lately has been more tough than ever before. I’ve had multiple conversations with my friends and they are full of encouragement, and there advice truly hold weight in my heart and in my mind. There is one place however that I need to address more attention and focus to and that it my spirit.
What excites me, what motivates me, and what drives me? Much of my focus can tend to be on myself and I work really hard at putting it on others. In life I am learning that it is such a balance. We must commit energy to others, but we must also make time for ourselves. I often burn myself before I realize this notion and every time I do I think next time it will be different I will catch myself before I burn. I am still working on it, but I believe I am learning through it all.
What has been inspiring me as of late is the story of Joseph and also the story of Peter who Jesus command to walk on water with a simple word, “Come.”
If we break this down in the story of Joseph he had many obstacles that came before him in his life: He was sold into slavery by his brothers, he was then sold to Potiphar to become his servant. He then was promoted to be one of Potiphars top men. He then was accused of an affair with Potiphars wife, and then was thrown into prison. Joseph remained in prison for 2 years where prospered there as well and was promoted into leadership. One day the pharaoh had a dream and need it interpreted, and because Joseph had interpreted a few of his officers dream he was called upon to go before the king. After Joseph had successfully interpreted the pharaohs dreams Joseph became the Prime Minister over Egypt.
Now I know that is a lot said and some may get lost in all of that information, but it’s important to understand these things of that story. I read that story and always think, “How could Joesph’s brothers sell him into slavery, why would they do that?” I also think, “I can’t believe Potiphar didn’t believe that he didn't sleep with his wife.” In all those things then I remember the story isn't about any of those people, it’s not about Potiphar, and it’s not about his brothers, and it’s really not even about Joseph.
In all of those things each situation had to happen so that God could show that He was in control. Those things had to happen the way they did so that Potiphar couldn’t help, and even Joseph’s father couldn't either. In the end of it all Joseph got out of everyone of those situations because God is faithful. He would never allow each of us go through something and leave us there.
We must remember that none of our friends can get us out of a situation, not even any of our family. God wants the full control and He wants the credit. Joseph’s situation seemed impossible and it was impossible in the ability of man. However, God can do anything and everything beyond all of our imaginations.
To read the full story of Joseph see: Genesis 37:1-50:26
I then remember the story of Peter,
25 Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear. 27 But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” 28 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.” 29 “Come,” he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”32 And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. 33 Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.” -Matthew 14:25-33
This story fascinates me as well because in the story we think the main point of it all is that Peter failed to walk on water when Jesus called him. The point of the story is so much more than that. It is deeper because Jesus always knew that Peter was going to sink, it was almost a set up because as soon as Peter began walking to Jesus in his own strength, he began to sink.
The word Immediately should resonate in this story, because it’s key. Jesus didn’t allow one drop of water touch Peter before He saved him, while pulling him out of the water.
It spoke to me so much because no matter what storm I am in, in life as long as I keep my eyes focused on the Lord I will remain in him. I will be in His strength and I won’t have to worry about sinking because He will rescue me.
I know reading this you may say, but Chris you don’t know my story, you don’t know what I have been through. You’re right I don’t know what you’ve been through, but I can guarantee that God hasn't given up on you. No matter how bad your story is, no matter how messed up you may feel. I believe that there is still a promise that God has on your life. All you have to do is receive it.
I have been going through quite a bit of discouragement as I had mentioned prior, but these stories have comforted me and truly give me hope. I hope they do just that for you today. I hope they give you hope in knowing that God will rescue you.
I hope this post leaves you better than it found you, I hope it inspires and encourages you today. I hope that you share it with someone who may need it. We truly have no idea what people are going through in their journey. Facebook is often used to show people what we want them to see, even when we are faced with so much difficulty in life.
Know that God believes in you, and so do I!
@chrisburkmenn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Encouragement is like Water to the Soul, it makes Everything Grow

Timing is Everything in Life